LCT Annual Meeting 2017
LCT Annual Meeting & Graduation
24-25 May 2017
- This page contains hopefully useful travel and accommodation information about Malta for participants of the LCT Annual Meeting 2017. Not all sections are complete but the page is live and will continue to be updated.
- This document is for information only and does not constitute an invitation. For clarification please contact Ivana or Bobbye.
- YOU ARE ADVISED TO BOOK ACCOMMODATION EARLY (i.e. NOW) using reserved accommodation or standard booking engines.
- See also https://lct-master.org/contents_2014/annualMeeting2017.php
- If you need further local info please send email with subject LCT2017 QUERY to me Mike Rosner, Dept AI, Univ. Malta ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Travel to Malta
- Airmalta: direct connections to Frankfurt, Munich, Milan, Rome, many major EU cities.
- Lufthansa: direct connections to Germany (Frankfurt, Munich, Dusselforf) and onwards to many other destinations
- Ryanair: cheap connections to France (Marseilles), Italy (Bari, Milan (Bergamo), Trapani, Pisa, Bologna, Venice (Treviso), Rome (Ciampino)), Spain, UK (London Luton; Scotland), Ireland (Dublin); Berlin.
- EasyJet: cheap connections to London Gatwick; Milan (Malpensa)
- Vueling: cheap connections to Spain
- Wizzair: Direct flights from Budapest, Bucharest, Gdansk, Sofia, Warsaw to Malta. Your city not one of these? Check Wizzair to Ryanair airports in Italy from where you can hop to Malta at low cost
- Turkish Airlines - great airline for those coming via Istanbul e.g. from Berlin (real food served)
- Taxi from Airport. Prepaid service ( as you exit arrival building ). Sample fares: Valletta: €15; Sliema €20. [other fares]
- Shuttle bus services to hotels http://www.maltatransfer.com/ (€5-10)
- Bus: Airport - Valletta: bus X4, X5, X7. 2 hr bus ticket: €1.50 ( change of bus possible )
Don’t forget that Malta uses UK-style square pin plugs, standard voltage. Please bring an adaptor for your electrical appliances. Check ambient temperatures. Swimming may be possible!
MEETING VENUE and MAPS
Current possibilities are:
- Faculty of ICT Building, University of Malta. Links: Campus Map (building 35), more general map: Sliema Map (includes walking routes)
A special rate of 60 euros/night including breakfast at this hotel has been negotiated. The main advantages are (i) tranquillity (University is 5 mins walk across a pleasant valley) (ii) relatively cheap rates. The disadvantages are that it is in a residential area, not that close (ie 15mins walk) to bars and restaurants.Transport to Valletta: Buses 24, 25, 35
Shared accommodation, located close to University campus in Msida. Also close to various cheap bars and eating places in Msida.
There are plenty of other hotels available on the open market in Sliema or Valletta (use booking.com or airbnb).
- Sliema: Wide range of accommodation/prices/quality. Good bus connections from Sliema to Valletta. Many bars and restaurants.
- Valletta: Walking distance to the meeting venue. Expensive these days due to EU Presidency.
Campus is about 25mins walk from campus (see walking map). There are also buses which go along the promenade and arrive at the “Universita’” bus stop. Approx 20 mins + waiting time. Bus ticket bought on bus costs 1.50 for 2 hrs.
Most hotels around the seafront promenade are OK and there are frequent bus connections to Valletta. The accommodation in the map above and those listed below is a just selection. All and more can be found at http://www.booking.com and some have their own websites. You can get to University on foot (30 mins) or by buses 202 or 203 which pass along the northern promenade, passing Sliema Ferries area. These run every 30 mins.
Sliema Hotels (selection)
- Palace Hotel ***** (175) luxury, understated - shares some facilities with Victoria
- Victoria Hotel **** reliable - slightly further along the Northern promenade but still on main bus route to Valletta; 120/night on booking.com
- Hotel Waterfront ****
- Preluna Hotel *** (83) Icon 1960s architecture. Great sea views from upper floors.
- Park Hotel **** (75)
- Hotel Kennedy Nova ***
- Hotel Plevna *** (65)
- Sliema Chalet Hotel *** (52)
- Sliema Hotel ***
- Sliema Marina ***
- NSTS Hibernia Residence (25) dorms and some studios available
- Depiro Point: 2 bedrooms (€90/night); and 1 bedroom (€60/night) apartments available.
- Pebbles Apartment Hotel (€65/night) for double studio w sea view.
It’s also possible to stay in Valletta - main advantage is that it is a unique miniature capital city with many architectural and cultural attractions. Also try googling “Valletta boutique hotels” for something unusual.
Valletta Hotels (selection)
- Excelsior ***** Great views -- standard price is 225 but deals are possible if you book early.
- Phoenicia ***** Old fashioned. Pleasant private gardens. Prices from euro 240/night.
- Osborne *** Well positioned 7 mins walking distance. euro 110/night.
- Castille *** Similar to Osborne - building is quainter and good views from rooftop restaurant.c. euro 125/night.
- British ** Wonderful harbour views. Character but a little tired. 9 mins. 85-120/night.
- Grand Harbour ** Similar to British. For both move fast to get a room here. 140/night.
Valletta Guest Houses
These places are rough and ready. Try to phone up or contact beforehand to check exactly what you are getting. Malta prefix is +356.
- Midland Guest House, 255 St Ursula Street, Valletta – Tel: 21236024 (10 bedrooms).
- Bonheur Guest House 18 Sappers Street, Valletta – Tel: 21238433, www.bonheurmalta.com, email@example.com (7 bedrooms)
- Asti Guesthouse, 18 St Ursula Street, Valletta – Tel 21239506, (8 bedrooms).